Best Sunscreens – Avoid these Harmful Substances in Your Sunscreen This Summer!
Believe it or not, the cream we put on to protect us from skin damage, cancer, and other ill effects of the sun can actually cause us more harm than good! But don’t worry, there are safe alternatives out there! Before we get into the good ones, let’s talk about the major chemicals to avoid in your sunscreen.
1. Phthalates – linked to allergies and asthma, infertility, reduced testosterone concentrations, abnormal development of reproductive system in baby boys
2. Methylparabens – Linked to hormone disruption and cancer in laboratory studies
3. Sulfates – linked to cancer
4. Oxybenzone – causes allergic skin reactions, affects sperm production in animals, associated with endometriosis
5. Octinoxate – hormone-like activity, disrupted the reproductive system, thyroid, and behavior in animals
6. Retinyl palmitate (Vitamin A) – caused cancerous tumors/lesions in lab studies
7. Added insect repellant
Also remember to avoid sprays and powders, which have added chemicals, and stick with the creams. Also avoid the creams that are over SPF 50, which also have unneeded additives.
My favorite sunscreen to use for my family is the Badger brand! You can buy it at Sprouts, Whole Foods, or online.
Find the best sunscreens for you and your family this summer at www.ewg.org/sunscreen!